Aberdeen rubislaw quarry
Rubislaw Quarry was opened in 1740 and is located at the Hill of Rubislaw in the west end of the Scottish city of Aberdeen. In 1778/9, Aberdeen City Council sold it to a businessman for £13, as it was not thought to be a source of good building material. However, over the next 200 years, an estimated six million tonnes of granite were excavated from the quarry, giving Aberdeen the name of 'The Granite City'. Rubislaw Quarry is one of the biggest man-made holes in Europe.
John Smith and Archibald Simpson were architects who constructed some of Aberdeen's best known buildings from granite in the early 19th century. Waterloo Bridge in London, the terrace of the Houses of Parliament and the Forth Rail Bridge were also constructed with granite from Aberdeen.